Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Four Thumbs Up!

Saturday Kurt and I went to lunch the the Lucky Buffet ($13the two of us!) and then to the theater ($5 bucks each). Despite hating baseball I tend to like baseball movies. The latest one out is terrific! Everyone who likes to feel good should check this out. It's based on the true story of a smalltown in Iowa that's going to lose its school and its identity. Norway isn't that far from here and the movie was filmed almost entirely in Iowa last summer. The local radio station put out calls for extras and often talked to the stars and the film makers. In fact the two morning dj's are in the film. One plays the coach of an opposing team and the other is the announcer.

We really really enjoyed the movie (despite Tom Arnold being in it)(I think he does a disservice to Iowa anytime he opens his mouth)(He makes us all seem like hicks and buffoons). He wasn't that bad this time around. Iowa is showcased quite well and very little of it seemed hokey or too "country-fied". The movie was shown at the Tribeca Film Festival earlier this year to rave reviews.

School consolidation is a HUGE issue around here. The high school that I graduated from consolidated in the 1960's. Some people still aren't over it.

Really, check it out. Tell me I'm wrong. I don't think you'll be able to do so.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

My High School still stands in Maryland... But it's changed soooo much as the neighborhood has changed from economics and everything else...

SO , while it's still there, it definitely lost it's identity from when I graduated in the 1970's!

I'll keep an eye out for the movie... Although I could do without Tom Arnold, for sure!