Monday, June 20, 2005

Herd 'Em Out

I know why I stay in bed on Monday mornings. It's a lot of work to get 4 kids and 1 domestic partner out the door! (Funny story btw....) Kurt refers to me as his companion, his domestic partner, or his spousal equivalent. I KNEW it was a bad idea. There isn't a label for what I am. (plus he's not ready for the label I'm wanting :) Anyway, some woman at work...He had said something about his domestic partner. She asked Teresa (our friend with whom Kurt works) if he was gay! (Not that there's anything wrong with that). I said, "SEE! I told you!"

Back to this morning. I woke up at 3:30 to pee. Then my mind started working. I've been up ever since. I made pancakes for everyone as they straggled out of bed. Kurt spends a leisurely morning usually. Drinking coffee, checking email, getting behind schedule etc. At 6:15 he notices he has an 8:15 conference call. Two children are still in bed at this point. He goes into crisis mode which is pretty funny since he isn't all the way awake.

We start sending kids through the shower and waking the rest up. Fred takes over loading the car which usually takes at least half an hour. The dog is in the middle of everything trying to snag a pancake. Nick devours 4 or 5 pancakes and goes back downstairs. I figure he is done and clear and rinse his plate. He comes back upstairs, looks around, and asks what happened. He was just waiting for the next round of food!

I keep telling everyone to hurry up; they need to leave by 7:15. I had them way ahead of schedule. I was feeling great. Then Nick disappeared again. I heard the bathroom door slam shut. This was not good. Any time gained was about to be lost. I found out this weekend that Nicky was overdue (late) by two weeks. A clear indication of personality if there ever was one. Being slow, late, and last defines Nick, which is unusual because he is totally hyper active. Finally got everyone out the door at 7:11am. Impressive. It's all in Kurt's hands now. I did what I could. I'm having a nap.

2 comments:

Marnie said...

I was two weeks overdue. Am I slow, late, and last?

Jennifer Hansen said...

I was two weeks late too, but I will be the first to say I'm lazy!