Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Wet, Wild Weekend

We got 3+ inches of rain since Friday. We needed it, but thunderstorms don't exactly go with waterparks. All the kids were in a mini uproar. "Are we going to the Lost Island?" "Are we going to the Lost Island?" "I think the Lost Island is going to be FUN! Are we going?"

Saturday was nice til mid afternoon. We got everyone home, and got everyone clean. Alex looked a bit Frankensteinish with his staples, but they were much smaller than I expected. Since the wound had scabbed over it was decided he could go to the waterpark as long as he wore a swimcap (of course, we had some miscommunication and I didn't find this out until much later which led to some tension)

We had Fred's 18th birthday party on Saturday. It's the first time we've had a kid on the actual birthday. The usual suspects were here eating the usual menu + Dairy Queen cake. He got the usual presents (rollerblades and a helmet), a Barnes and Noble gift card, jeans (that he doesn't have to roll up), a shirt, and some games and cards. Overall he didn't seem very excited (until the cake appeared). But Fred is an understated kind of child.

We had loud scary thunderstorms Saturday night. One clap of thunder was so powerful it sent Christy scurrying downstairs into her Daddy's lap. There were several more during the night and I expected her to end up with us. In the morning she informed me once she is asleep she stays asleep.

Sunday morning - Waterpark Day - More storms. My Dad was going with us (it was his father's day present). He called. He and Kurt decided to postpone it. I got up to some very disappointed children. I took the day off so I could go. I was disappointed too. By 10:15 (it opens at 10:30) it had cleared off and the radar looked clear. We called Dad and rescheduled. WE'RE GOING TO THE LOST ISLAND!!

I've never seen the kids get ready and in the car so quickly! We got out there around 12:30 and stayed til 6. Dad left half way through. Lucky! Kurt and I were exhausted. The kids had a blast. I've never seen Fred smile so much.

There are 3 body slides, 4 slides that are 1 or 2 people in tubes, and one big yellow one that is 3-5 people in a tube. There is also a lazy river, and 3 medium to little kid play areas and a wave pool.

We all went for the body slides first thing. We got up there. Christy was in position and decided it was too dark and she was scared. She couldn't go down with a partner, so she walked back down. After we all made it through the tube, she, Dad, and I went over to one of the play areas. While the Hansen men continued to slide. There was a smaller slide there which she loved.

A bit later she and I went on the Tangerine Tempest which is a tube that shoots into a big bowl where you swirl around before being sucked back down into another tube. It's like a giant toilet bowl. She did good at first, then got scared. By the time we splashed down she was shaking and starting crying when we got out. I felt bad. She's usually fearless. She declared, "let's go on the lazy river. It will help calm me down." We met up with Kurt and the boys in the river. Pretty much Christy hung out with the adults and we let the boys go on their own as long as they stuck together. Alex was easy to spot with his blue swim cap so that made life much easier. We went out and had a picnic on the lawn half way through the visit, reapplied sunscreen (not that it helped. I'm burned to a crisp. I'm soo upset. I had more sunscreen on than anyone else. I think it was old and the SPF was too low) and headed back in.

Hours later we finally got everyone together in one place. We did one last time in the wave pool then headed for home. We ordered in Chinese and watched some TV. Nick said he can't wait to go back next year and Alex said it was a great weekend! High praise from our kids!

No comments: